[MUD-Dev] Criminalize Community Volunteers?

Dave Rickey daver at mythicgames.com
Wed Sep 6 09:30:56 CEST 2000

-----Original Message-----
From: Madrona Tree <madronatree at hotmail.com>
To: mud-dev at kanga.nu <mud-dev at kanga.nu>
Date: Wednesday, September 06, 2000 1:07 AM
Subject: Re: [MUD-Dev] Criminalize Community Volunteers?

    This still begs the question of whether they are working for the
corporation, or the community.

>> I have a close personal friend who is a guide for EQ. He receives
>> a free account for his activities and he loves it. He talks about it
>> non-stop!
>
>Well, sure.  There are lots of people who like to be
>guides/counselors/what-have-you.  You realize I'm not advocating taking
your
>friend's job away -- I'm advocating paying your friend for his work.

    He's not going to be paid.  The money isn't there.  If the absolute bare
minimum number of hours were paid at standard rates, the games would lose
money at current subscriber costs.  There's only two ways to resolve that,
either charge more (approximately double) or have CS that is even crappier
than the current level.  The research that says 10$/month is the limit on
what the consumer will pay is pretty compelling....

>> Now as for taking jobs away from someone who really needs it...
>> Do you really believe that? Get real.
>
>I really believe that people should be paid for their efforts in a
>for-profit situation.  I really believe there are lots of college students
>out there who would *love* a job for $100/week being a guide.  I really
>think that if nobody was volunteering to do the work, Verant/OSI/AOL would
>*have* to pay somebody to do that work.

    You think so?  Think again.  For one thing, 20% of the current Guides do
80% of the work, some of them put in 60+ hours a week.  If they were
employees, they couldn't be *allowed* to put in those hours.  Yet those
people are the administrative backbone of the programs.

--Dave Rickey