[MUD-Dev] Criminalize Community Volunteers?

Erik Jarvi ejarvi at megsinet.net
Wed Sep 6 11:04:07 CEST 2000

On Tue, Sep 05, 2000 at 10:20:21PM -0700, Madrona Tree wrote:
> [...]

I agree 100% with you up until here.  Well maybe I do agree with you here, but
I have an exception.  Internships.  I view internships as career advancement,
better know as getting your foot in the door. Also internships don't necessarily
make the intern an employee in the eyes of the law. Which I might add seems to
the point most people are missing. It doesn't matter what people did or didn't
know prior to volunteering. As Raph posted before there are rules that say this
person is an employee and this one isn't. Ignorance of the law is no excuse.
I think what people should be *volunteering* :P to help change the law, if they
don't agree with the current law.

Personal note: The Dept. of Labour is really slow to react. It's been almost 1.5
years! since I was paid for a peticular job, and almost 1 year since the Dept. of
Labour has been involved. And this is going fast. *boggle*

Posted from Josh Olsen on Tue, Sept 06, 2000:
>When I left, there were ~30 Senior Guides performing supervisory roles and
>working full-time hours, plus 3 Elder Guides in upper management working way
>too much.  Paying these people even modestly (by San Diego standards) puts
>the number into multi-millions per year.  Even for Verant, that's not chump
>change.

Umm, these look like employees to me.  Full time guides and Upper Management Guides
volunteers(smirk) are not employees?!

Can I have some of that crack you're smoking? :)

Erik
--
All music aspires to the condition of muzak.