time delays on PK (was Re: [MUD-Dev] UO rants)

Erik Jarvi ejarvi at megsinet.net
Wed Sep 6 11:04:42 CEST 2000

On Wed, Aug 30, 2000 at 01:46:20PM -0700, gmiller at classic-games.com wrote:

> --<cut>--
> Note: This message was written via the list web archives.  There is
> no guarantee that the claimed author is actually the author.
> --<cut>--
> Original message: http://www.kanga.nu/archives/MUD-Dev-L/2000Q3/msg00910.php
>
> On Tue, 29 Aug 2000 16:12:33 -0700
> Dan Merillat <harik at chaos.ao.net> wrote:
>

> > Death dosn't work well if you instantly respawn.  That just makes life
> > exciting, and thus feeds the griefer.  If death involves a (growing) timeout,
> > at first it's no big deal but when you get a 15 minute wait between logins, it
> > starts to be daunting.
>
> Time delays are one potentially workable approach. Personally, I'd give a
> certain number of "points" for each death, and gradually lower the point total
> over time in order to punish people for frequent death rather than total deaths
> (which would tend to favor new players over long-time players). I'm not sure
> 15 minutes would be enough, however.
>
> There are other ways to accomplish this, though. Some muds use a sort of
> semi-permadeath, where you can buy or otherwise acquire extra lives. People who
> die rapidly tend to run out, while people who don't suffer no major
> consequences.
>
> Anybody got any other good schemes for making death significant for griefers?

We have regular death, and power death (perma-death). Once your power points
reaches zero, you power die. There are 2 ways to "come back to life" after
regular death. 1) travel to the Endoplasmatorium in Sanom (our main city).
(there is only one and our world is rather large.) 2) get a healer to
corporealise you. (It's really expensive for the healer to do. So it's not used
much.)  We rely on players to police themselves. If on player is acting like an
ass, then another player can kill them repeatedly. The obnoxious player usually
gets the point after 2 or 3 deaths. :) Also note the we have a player run
justice/law system. It's illegal to kill any humanoid in Sanom. So to answer
your question have a player run justice system. :) I posted our laws awhile back,
in April or May.

Erik
--
All music aspires to the condition of muzak.