[MUD-Dev] The Solution to Criminalizing Community Volunteers?

Jon Morrow Jon at Morrow.net
Sat Sep 9 10:10:29 CEST 2000

I've been watching this thread for a good time now and have enjoyed
everyone's opinions, but I see a lack of coherent solutions being posted.
Arguing the ethical issues involved with volunteerism would be more
appropriate in an argument as support for a solution.  From my professional
and collegiate experience, ethics alone often appease the mind yet those
abused by the lack of ethics continue to be battered because everyone seems
to forget that a solution has not been enforced.

Also, from my understanding, it is possible that legislation will make some
decisions for us.  If and when they decide to change the volunteer model, we
should have logical arguments prepared to combat any assaults to our
industry that the changes may bring.  In the event that no changes are made,
perhaps we should draft a list of suggestions for handling volunteers in the
gaming community.  I do not recommend any form of negative reinforcement for
anyone that does not follow these suggestions, for I believe we can assume a
bad volunteer structure will reap its own results on the organization.

Of course, I must start the list of suggestions to avoid proving myself a
hypocrit:

1) For commercial organizations, a contract should be supplied for the
volunteer simply stating acknowledgement that they work without compensation
and in the event of dissatisfaction they reserve the right to discontinue
their service. The organization also states that they reserve the right to
"fire" the volunteer if they are dissatisfied with services rendered. (If I
am not legally correct here, someone please intervene)

Regards,

Jon Morrow