[MUD-Dev] MUD Coding Staff Structure

Marc Bowden ryumo at merit.edu
Tue Sep 12 06:54:53 CEST 2000

--On Monday, September 11, 2000 7:28 PM -0400 Michael Tresca
<talien at toast.net> wrote:

> Dave Rickey posted on Thursday, September 07, 2000 1:34 PM
>
>> In a MUD, you can hand someone wiz powers and if they don't
>> actually do anything constructive with them, you don't *care*.  In
>> an MMOG, you can't afford to lose track of what people are
>> actually doing with those powers.
>
> Pardon?
>
> I'd submit that the good MUDs do care, and that at least in part,
> this separates the good MUDs from the bad.  We expect our coding
> staff to be active.  We expect them to provide their own timelines
> and provide explanations for why they can't meet them.  We expect
> arches to check in on lower level wizards. We regularly ask all the
> coding staff to give updates once a month.
>
> We run RetroMUD volunteer structure like a business -- but we're all
> volunteers.  Accountability and responsibility is what keeps the
> game running, and lack of it has destroyed the last three MUDs I
> played on.
>
> ANY game that relies on a playerbase cannot afford to let its
> coding staff run rampant -- that's just good management of people,
> it's not proprietary to MMOG.

  But you'd be amazed, frightened, and morbidly fascenated at the
number of games who have no accountability model whatsoever for their
game staff, and/or ferverently pretend that the players don't exist,
even up to and including assigning penalties for listening to public
channels, etc.