[MUD-Dev] Are eBay sales more than just a fad?

Matthew Mihaly the_logos at achaea.com
Tue Sep 12 18:53:08 CEST 2000

On Tue, 12 Sep 2000, Vincent Archer wrote:

> It all depends on what, exactly, you're setting up shop for. If you're
> "creating" the goods you're selling, be it the ubervorpalsword or the
> level 999 character, you're probably going to face the court someday.

I'm curious why you say this. What legal principles does this violate? I
mean, Everquest and UO, for instance, sell the characters that people use.
We sell in-game items. I don't see a court worrying about the 'role'
mechanism though. By this I mean that an in-game item is just a database
entry, and I don't see the courts saying 'No, you may not sell this
database entry, over which no one has any claim but you."
--matt