[MUD-Dev] Are eBay sales more than just a fad?

Dan Merillat harik at chaos.ao.net
Wed Sep 13 16:38:15 CEST 2000

Matthew Mihaly writes:

> Quite right! We don't allow the transfer of items bought from us with real
> money, because we don't really see any reason to cannibalize our own
> magical-artifact-selling business by allowing other people to get in on
> it.

That's somewhat different, though.  Selling 'Purchace only' artifacts
is a different market then selling things that may be aquired via
in-game mechanics.

Obviously, you can't sell a 'medal of donation to the game' to another
player, it's locked to you.  But what about the items on the biggest,
baddest NPC?   It rather annoys the players when they've worked for months
to get it and some rich brat with daddy's CC just goes and buys it outright.

A lot of people don't LIKE the 'buying to the top' method of gaming, especially
when they have to compete with these people.  Now you have a ladder ranking
where it's not just skill (and time spent), it's skill + RL cash.    And if we
do that, it WILL become a commodity and it will be our responsibility.

--Dan