[MUD-Dev] Criminalize Community Volunteers?

Matthew Mihaly the_logos at achaea.com
Wed Sep 13 16:36:01 CEST 2000

On Tue, 12 Sep 2000, Greg Underwood wrote:

> The reality of the situation is that, until legal precident is set, virtual
> items have no "real world" value, and can be used as payment for services
> rendered w/o violating the non-paying part of volunteer work.  As you said
> above, tho, once that goes to court and precident is set, that may change.
> It might be safest to just not reward volunteers with virtual items, and
> stick to in game powers only.

Keep in mind that "real world value" has nothing to do with whether the
law chooses to recognize this value. The items have real world value,
period. In fact, it's not possible for them to have only in-game value and
be desired by any player. Players are part of the real world and thus if
they value anything, that thing has real world value.

> Of course, who's to say in game powers don't have real world value too?

Presumably no one who has thought about it is saying that. Our business
model is predicated upon game powers having real world value.
--matt