[MUD-Dev] MUD Coding Staff Structure

Michael Tresca talien at toast.net
Fri Sep 15 19:33:26 CEST 2000

Steven Kaskinen posted on Wednesday, September 13, 2000 6:59 PM

> While I certainly agree with the orginal point that giving out
> Guides/Wizards/etc powers out willy nilly is damaging no matter the scale
of
> the game.

> The point that MUDs and MMOGs are the exact same animal can't be made in
my
> opinion.

Was this the point of distinction, or was it a differentiation between
paying your coding staff and not paying them?

If anything, coding staff need who aren't paid need that much more
structure -- money is a wee bit more tangible at the end of the day than "a
good feeling from coding on the game" -- and on some days with some players,
that good feeling is hard to find.  A strong, supportive structure that
makes being a coding volunteer a pleasant (and possibly even FUN!)
experience keeps people logging back in when there's no paychecks.

I'm sure there are some large free-to-play MUDs that rival some of the
pay-for-play multi-graphic-whatevers in size and scope.

No, they're not the same.  But one clearly draws its roots from the other --
I'm wary of multi-player gaming enterprises who see volunteer initiatives
(i.e., most MUDs) as the "poor cousin" who can't do things right because
they don't draw a paycheck.

Michael "Talien" Tresca
RetroMUD Administrator
http://www.retromud.org