[MUD-Dev] Are eBay sales more than just a fad?

Matthew Mihaly the_logos at achaea.com
Mon Sep 18 03:04:38 CEST 2000

On Sat, 16 Sep 2000, Madman Across the Water wrote:

> Joe Andrieu wrote:
> > Heh. Well, characters and monsters already appear out of nowhere in these
> > worlds and everyone accepts it as workable.  In fact, in many of these
> > games, skills do appear out of nowhere. At some arbitrary point in my
> > experience (when I hit some level of x.p.), I suddenly get more skills. Or
>
> This responds to Matthew's point as well- no, I don't really like
> monsters and items "spawning" out of nowhere. On the other hand, I think
> there is a certain amount of bending of fiction that people will accept
> to overcome engine limitations. It'd be cooler if monsters would only
> spawn when there are no players watching. :> And skills, well, in theory
> your character worked for them.

Right, ok. In theory then, all the people buying items in Achaea have gone
on a quest to gain them. *shrug* The skills people buy, of course, in
theory, got worked for by the character eh?

And if people are out of character enough to think about the limitations
of the game engine, don't you think that just maybe buying items isn't
going to stretch credibility less than that?

--matt