[MUD-Dev] DoS and muds

Josh Rollyson dinodrac at summit.magenet.com
Wed Sep 20 02:21:05 CEST 2000

Denial of Service (DoS) attacks are unfortunally very common on my other
addiction (IRC) and I was thinking about something, what about MUDs.

Has anyone ever though about the effects of a denial of service
attack against a mud and how they could be used to cheat ?
Crash bugs have been used to cheat for a long time but what about attacks
which render all connections unusable ?
I could see where that could be used to freeze an opponent to prevent them
from trying to escape :
Spam a few commands
Packet flood the mud in question ( won't go into the details of how - thats
for bugtraq list)
Wait a minute or two
Stop packeting
Loot player.

Also has anybody had experience with players trying this, and has anybody ever
tryed to come up with a way to prevent this ?

Right now the only way I see to logicly stop this is to threaten deletion,
which would negate the gains from this , but probably provoke more attacks.

Josh Rollyson	dracus at irc	dracus at virusfix.org dinodrac at magenet.com
SMS Phone - 3362395619 at message.alltel.com ICQ#31731914
Assistant System Administrator - Valley of the Mage Consulting
http://www.magenet.com/~dinodrac   http://www.virusfix.org