[MUD-Dev] Bad Name Lists

Michael Tresca talien at toast.net
Wed Sep 20 07:55:28 CEST 2000

William Katzell posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2000 2:11 AM

> Take a look at how refined your bad name list is codewise.  I can't
> believe how many MUDs my character name "Chantillary" has been
> disallowed because it has the word fragment "anti" in it.  Other names
> I've seen banned were Assassin (on a PK MUD), because it has "Ass" in it
> (twice!  Oh, the horror!); or Fidelity, because it has "Fidel" in it (I
> guess that they were rabidly anti-Cuba).

On several games, some of my friends were unable to use Japanese names
because of precisely this problem.  This kind of solution is an unfortunate
(but necessary) answer to the increase of "twink" names that I've seen on
MUDs in general.  It is not a globally sensitive solution however,
especially since names are often a matter of taste.

Ultimately, auto-screening is never as good as a person monitoring the
names.  Not that anyone can spare the staff, but having a system that flags
certain names for a coder to review may be a good compromise.

Michael "Talien" Tresca
RetroMUD Administrator
http://www.retromud.org
telnet://retromud.org 3000