[MUD-Dev] Help and Reference Systems Study

Peter malaprop at malaprop.org
Wed Sep 20 10:17:36 CEST 2000

>Jon Morrow said:
>While we believe that this will be an effective system, we desire input
>from the mud community and would appreciate suggestions on improvements
>or alternate systems.  Also, if anyone else has done study on the needs
>of user documentation, Dyvic would love to talk about it or peruse the
>study.

	That sounds good and useful, but I've seen a trend where the amount of
documentation a user new to a mud reads is exactly inverse to how much
they play muds. New players just want to jump into it, old players want
to know what the scene is and how things work so they can fit in. This
isn't absolute or conclusive, just my general oberservation.
	I was on a MUD one time and in character creation you headed in the
same direction through a series of rooms where you were tought basic
stuff like getting/equipping items and how channels work as well as how
the things unique to the mud worked. I suggested that the stuff that was
unique to the MUD be broken off into a shorter track for players who'd
been around a while and the response was, "Nah, everybody just
speedwalks through that to get to the game anyways." Bummer.