[MUD-Dev] Importance of User Documentation

Sanvean sanvean at ginka.armageddon.org
Sat Sep 30 15:38:07 CEST 2000

On Sat, 30 Sep 2000, Jon Morrow wrote:

(some snippage to get straight to the questions)

> 1) Has anyone encountered a MUD with a good documentation model?  What makes
> it good?  How can it be improved?

This is a question I've spent a lot of time on, because I produce
documentation for a living.  On Armageddon, we've done the following:

a) Tried to make the help files follow the same syntax, as well as
providing some that list related helpfiles, such as all the communication
related, all the combat related, etc. as well as a top40 helpfile that
lists the 40 helpfiles people really should know before starting to play,
etc.  We've also made the see alsos as the bottom as consistent and
thorough as possible.  Some help files are only accessible to a particular
group -- all the psi and spell helpfiles are available only if you have
that particular skill, for example.

b) Written a script that, when someone requests a helpfile that isn't
there, writes the requested word to file, so I can go and look to see if
there's anything popping up consitently that needs a helpfile.  (This
occasionally leads to fun results, such as noticing that someone has typed
help hyperspace, or help I_wonder_if_they_really_do_look_at_these).  I
can't claim credit for this excellent idea, since I ran across it on a
mudsnippets page whose location I have, alas, forgotten.

c) Provided a way to access all the helpfiles through the webpage.

d) Provided EXTENSIVE documentation on the webpage, including walkthroughs
and guides written by players.  There's also specialized clan
documentation, which includes things like the history of the clans, names
and backgrounds on clan NPCs, various guidelines for different clan roles,
like guards or merchants, etc.  Recently, I tried providing something like
a slideshow for players, intended to get those resistent to wading through
the documentation, to get a feel for the game (which I'm rather pleased
with, so far, located at http://ginka.armageddon.org/slides/intro1.html).

> 2) What are the effects of good documentation?  Decreased cost on
> administrative support?  Or is it effective at all?  Why?

It is effective, but it's only effective to the extent that players are
willing to read them.  I can make them as accessible and thorough as
possible, but much depends on getting the players to read them in the
first place.  The people who do read them get a lot more out of the game,
but how to convince them of that?  There's the question.  In any case, it
reduces the number of wishes requesting information, or at least provides
something you can readily point the wisher at.

Sanvean