[MUD-Dev] Business models for commercial text games

Matt Mihaly the_logos at www.achaea.com
Mon Apr 2 18:06:59 CEST 2001

On Fri, 30 Mar 2001, [iso-8859-1] Emil Eifr=E9m wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Mar 2001, Matt Mihaly wrote:

> "Pay-to-play" was a bad choice of words. As you point out, I meant
> selling in-game stuff (artifacts, money, skill practices, ...) for
> dollars. Not subscription-based playing.

Right. Selling digital objects basically.

 > Sounds very intersting. Again, I think half the battle is won once
 > > there's an easy and convenient method for players to pour money
 > into > the game.  Qpass/Paypals and efforts such as those 7-11
 > cards seem to > be heading the right way. Thanks alot for the info
 > and comments.

Dealing directly with merchant banks and credit card companies is,
quite literally, the bane of my life (says something about the
relative 'difficulty' of my life I guess). Just today, for instance,
I've spent an hour dealing with police in a town in Michigan to try
and bust a bastard kid who has been using a stolen credit card with
us. (I take it fairly personally and have already stuck one college
kid in jail for 30 days after he defrauded us. I would like to
hospitalize them, but alas, vigilante justice is frowned upon by our
legal system.)

I looked into Paypal quite heavily last fall, but it wasn't
international yet. I see now, however, that it IS international, which
is very good, however, it only works directly with someone's bank
account if they are in the US, UK, France, Canada, or
Germany. Further, it doesn't provide an ounce of extra fraud
protection for merchants, so sadly, I see little reason to use it.

--matt