Learning about MUDs (was: Re: [MUD-Dev] Re: MUD-Dev digest, V ol 1 #301 - 15 msgs)

Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com
Tue Apr 3 18:04:55 CEST 2001

-----Original Message-----
From: Brian 'Psychochild' Green [mailto:brian at psychochild.org]
Sent: 03 April 2001 09:12
To: mud-dev at kanga.nu
Subject: Re: Learning about MUDs (was: Re: [MUD-Dev] Re: MUD-Dev digest,
Vol 1 #301 - 15 msgs)

> Why is platinum not useful at higher levels in EverQuest?  From my
> experiences, it's because the value of platinum is too low to be
> useful as a currency at higher levels.  There's too much platinum
> floating around at higher levels.

> To see an extreme example of this, see if you can find anyone in
> EverQuest willing to sell items that don't drop anymore (mana
> stones, rubicite armor) for any reasonable amount of platinum.  Most
> people won't.  Yet, if you offer an item that no longer drops in
> exchange for another item that no longer drops, you might get more
> interest in your proposed transaction.

Well this may vary on a server to server basis, but on my one, there
isn't anything tradeable that can't be bought for platinum. The issue
I find more stultifying is that most high level gear is 'no-drop'
which kills the economy for them before you even start...

The only reason I have any platinum lying around is that I can't buy
anything that would improve my character... (Being a wizard probably
has a large impact on that as caster gear in EQ is limited).

Dan