[MUD-Dev] Balancing Melee vs Ranged Combat in Games Which Model Space

Hal Bonnin triangle at iglobal.net
Wed Apr 4 12:54:46 CEST 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: <Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com>
To: <mud-dev at kanga.nu>
Sent: Tuesday, April 03, 2001 10:02 AM
Subject: [MUD-Dev] Balancing Melee vs Ranged Combat in Games Which Model
Space

> Its a simple question really. Does anyone think it is possible to
> balance melee range combat with ranged combat/magic in games where
> spacial issues have impact?

> All the games keep trying to do it, but I'm beginning to wonder if
> its even possible. What it seems to boil down to is :

> How do you balance characters being able to cause damage to a
> monster/player when it isn't able to retaliate.

my response to long range verses short range combat would be as follows.

  1. make it so that if the monster HAS no effect on the player that
  the monster gives NO loot and NO experience.

  2. make it so that the monsters get a greater
  dodge/shield/protection against a ranged attack with each successful
  hit.. maxing out at something like 80 resistance.

  3. make it so ranged attacks do less damage. the players have 2
  thoughts when killing.. the time it takes for them to kill stuff and
  how much damage they take. they are going to try very hard to take
  as little damage as they can so they can immediatly kill something
  else right after. if it takes a long time for them to kill stuff
  with just ranged then they will group or then will learn melee.

  4. make ranged weapons not work within 20 to 30 feet. so when a
  monster gets close they have to switch.

  5. make wielding a ranged weapon or magic wand give BIG pentalities
  to skills such as dodge and defenses.. since they are focused on
  aiming...

  6. give monsters the ability to reflect ranged attacks back if the
  monster cant get to the attacker. for example the monster is now at
  25% health and it hasnt done any damage to the player. the monster
  huddles down and concentrates its powers... all ranged attacks will
  reflect back to the shooter... and the first melee attack on the
  monster will reflect and deal 50percent damage to the player....

or any combination of the above.

my favorate is number one as a player wont do anything if it doesnt
give him loot and/or experiance...