[MUD-Dev] [DGN] Balancing Melee/Ranged Combat

Kwon Ekstrom justice at softhome.net
Thu Apr 5 05:27:12 CEST 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Hal Bonnin" <triangle at iglobal.net>
> From: <Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com>

>> Its a simple question really. Does anyone think it is possible to
>> balance melee range combat with ranged combat/magic in games where
>> spacial issues have impact?

> my response to long range verses short range combat would be as follows.

>   1. make it so that if the monster HAS no effect on the player that
>   the monster gives NO loot and NO experience.

Interesting idea, it might work, but I would rather fix a problem then
cover it up at the expense of the players.

>   4. make ranged weapons not work within 20 to 30 feet. so when a
>   monster gets close they have to switch.

I don't see this as a very realistic solution, in my experience, it's
easier to hit something that's closer, and generally the projectiles
tend to retain more power at close range.

>   5. make wielding a ranged weapon or magic wand give BIG
>   pentalities to skills such as dodge and defenses.. since they are
>   focused on aiming...

This would work if done right.

As for the other 3 suggestions, I see those types of solutions alot.
It boils down to handicapping PC's vs NPC's or supercharging NPC stats
to account for lack of a sufficient AI.  I tend to dislike any system
that covers it's shortcomings with handicaps on the PCs.

-- Kwon Ekstrom