[MUD-Dev] Broken Economies (was RE: Learning about MUDs)

Koster Koster
Thu Apr 5 13:24:31 CEST 2001

Well, even UO's closed economy was not truly a closed economy. The
essential failure of it was, as you cite, the tragedy of the commons,
the hoarding.  The idea was to tie the inflow of currency to the
outflow of currency.  Hoarding meant that there was near-zero
liquidity in the economy. But there was still inflow of stuff into the
game, albeit only a trickle.

> There could be lots of ways to decentralize the incentives. Some
> kind of big public kudos could be given to those who divest ("This
> week of monster bashing brought to you by Soldiers of Light, who
> finally cleaned out the garage!").

UO actually did this. There was a "clean up Britannia" program
instituted at one point which gave players the ability to turn in
hoarded items for tickets. Get a lot of tickets, and you got a little
gift. This program was *extremely* successful at reducing backup sizes
and reducing hoarding.

> Or you can rely on standard source-and-sink incentive design, hoping
> that that will keep things balanced. But that begs the
> question. Which is, where is the gain? From what I gather, the
> hoped-for advantage of a closed system is that it keeps the wealth,
> clutter, and databases to a reasonable level.

The primary hope for it was to get rid of the problem of infinite
supply of everything. Traditionally muds rely on ongoing costs for
this, but fail to match the drains to the faucets. One of the main
reasons why seems to be the currency breakdown--the fact is, most
things in most muds are not convertible to currency in any meaningful
fashion.

> But if you're capable of balancing the source and sink, then what's
> the point of a closed system, since you've acheived it's goals
> anyway?

A faucet->drain system where the faucet and drain are perfectly
matched for each possible type of asset is functionally exactly
equivalent to a closed system.

By and large, we usually manage to balance currency, but fail to
balance items well, or vice versa. Hence stuff like level limits on
objects, which are a demonstration of the failure to supply drains for
good items.

-Raph