[MUD-Dev] Balancing Melee vs Ranged Combat in Games Which Model Space

Travis Casey efindel at earthlink.net
Thu Apr 5 13:38:15 CEST 2001

Wednesday, April 04, 2001, 2:06:04 PM, shren <shren at io.com> wrote:

> Wait a second.  Any redesign in player missle attacks is going to
> have to also cause a monster system redesign, and vice versa.  The
> fact that there are monsters and players both without missle attacks
> can be fixed.  As for the deer, well, should a deer be a challenging
> encounter for any level of PC?

I'd say it depends on how you mean "challenging".  If you mean "likely
to cause the player damage", then probably not.  However, hunting down
a deer could still be a difficult task for a low-power character --
especially if, for some reason, a *particular* deer is needed instead
of just any deer.  For example, imagine a wizard who needs the antlers
from a black buck for a spell, and who hires a PC (or PCs) to find
such a deer and bring back the antlers.

And, for that matter, don't forget Celtic myth -- venomous deer are a
*nasty* idea.

--
       |\      _,,,---,,_    Travis S. Casey  <efindel at earthlink.net>