[Mud-Dev] Money supply in game economies (formerly Broken eco nomies)

Matt Mihaly the_logos at www.achaea.com
Fri Apr 6 08:30:25 CEST 2001

On Thu, 5 Apr 2001, J C Lawrence wrote:
> On Thu, 5 Apr 2001 13:17:08 -0700
> Raph Koster <Koster> wrote:

>> "Opportunity for exit."

> Without restating your point, which I'm now going to do anyway,
> perhaps the primary difference in the evolutionary pattern of RL
> versus VR is that in VR individuals can, with rare exception,
> excape, compleatly and utterly, and they know it going in.  RL
> conversely has the tawdry quality of having your body both stuck in
> it, and of it being largely unremovable.

I think more accurately, the barrier to exit in the physical world is
significantly higher (fear of death, addiction to life, whatever) than
in a virtual world. In both cases escape of the self is both possible
and inevitable.

> The current commercially motivated direction (cf prior discussions
> on credit card fraud) is to use bioometrics (I've had reason to poke
> into this area).  My concern has been that the authentication might
> be bidirectional, that not only would I be able to derive an action
> back to a singular human, but that I would be able to take a
> singular human and from its signature derive a list of actions, or
> that I would be able to take two actions and would necessarily be
> able to determine that they were commited by the same human were
> that the case.  Very Bad Stuff.

How accurate is biometrics for an individual over a range of time? For
instance, if I'm drunk, will I be correctly identified? What if I'm
sleepy? And wouldn't all of the measuring have to be performed
client-side, leaving it quite open to hacking? (That might be a very
naive question. I'm not much of a techie.)

--matt