[MUD-Dev] Re: TECH: Distributed Muds

Bobby Martin bobbymartin at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 10 18:09:33 CEST 2001

Obligatory plug: I am working on the server side and communications
for one of the many new fantasy MMORPGs in development.  We call
ourselves Cosm, and we hope to provide a broader play experience than
the basically combat-only options that are available today.  You can
see our customer web site (we are VERY early in development.  Don't
take the stuff on this site as gospel (yet)) at www.cosm-game.com.
The screen shots are all actual shots from the client.

That said, I have developed a few java tools that could help out some
folks. I have a high speed, compact UDP replacement for RMI, which is
(almost) as easy to use as RMI.  I'd like to release it under the GPL
and for other licensing by arrangement.  If you're interested, contact
me and we can work out a deal.

Another subsystem that I've developed that might be of use is an
autoupdater.  You put the client code on a web server, invoke the
updater on the client with the url to the web server, and it
automatically updates any files on the client that need to be.  You
can make new releases on the server and have all clients update
automatically, or release your client as a 15k jar (the updater) that
will then download the whole client as needed.  Again, I will release
under the GPL or other licenses by arrangement.  Contact me if
interested.

Bobby Martin
Cosm development team