[MUD-Dev] Re: TECH: Distributed Muds

Vincent Archer archer at nevrax.com
Wed Apr 11 09:52:16 CEST 2001

According to Colin Coghill:

> You still have to watch out for the flash-flood effect. A major
> event in one realm (a wedding, a bug giving out free stuff, etc) can
> change that to 9900 users on one world and 100 across the other
> nine.

Right now, you have a good example of distributed MUD. I'm speaking of
course of Everquest, where each zone is a self-consistent, separate
MUD (which is probably running as a single process).

And when you have a GM-run event of too large a scale, you get zone
crashes and whatnot when a zone that supports 50 users suddendly
accomodate 200.

--
Vincent Archer                                         Email: archer at nevrax.com

Nevrax France.                              Off on the yellow brick road we go!