[MUD-Dev] Re: [DESIGN] Re: Economic & Currency Solutions

Vincent Archer archer at nevrax.com
Thu Apr 12 14:37:50 CEST 2001

According to John Buehler:

> They can either go off and kill stuff in order to get money and
> maybe land a great item, or they can just buy one from a shop with
> their cash loot.  No more barter-only situations.  If I can sell a
> full set of armor for enough cash, I can visit the Uber Store and
> get that Nuclear Weapon that I was after.

It all boils down to what I was saying earlier. People will use a
currency only if they have confidence in it. And they have confidence
when they have a form "guarantee" that this currency can be used at
any time to provide them with a service or good they desire.

This is why those feathers were used in M59 (services: reagents for
PvP) or those shards/motes are used in AC (goods: shadow armor/atlan
weapons).

So, the right way to ensure that what you introduced as currency in
the game remains a currency is to make sure that currency pays for
services everyone needs (or feels they need to) and goods everyone
desires. And the way to make sure of that is that there are NPC to
provide these in exchange for currency.

You still have to worry about inflation, of course, because if
inflation occurs, then the goods/service price becomes negligible
compared to the wealth someone has accumulated, and it stops filling
its role as the backing for currency.

--
Vincent Archer                                         Email: archer at nevrax.com

Nevrax France.                              Off on the yellow brick road we go!