[MUD-Dev] TECH: Flash Crowds and overflow control

Koster Koster
Wed Apr 18 06:59:47 CEST 2001

> From: Vincent Archer
> According to Marc Bowden:

>> Not to display my ignorance, but what is a 'portal storm'?

> A mechanism for crowd control in AC. If there are too many people
> congregating within a volume, a "portal storm" started (swirly
> effects clustering on characters). If you stayed, eventually, the
> portal storm began in earnest, and the oldest characters in the area
> were grabbed and "portaled" (teleported) to a random location
> adjacent to the area.

UO had the samne effect, except it was called a "teleport storm." I
believe it took a significantly larger number of players to cause it
to happent, though, since they are very infrequent--only times I
remember seeing them were during big events.

-Raph