[MUD-Dev] Re: [DESIGN] Re: Economic & Currency Solutions (was RE: [Mud-Dev]Broken currencies)

Matt Mihaly the_logos at achaea.com
Wed Apr 18 23:27:53 CEST 2001

On Wed, 18 Apr 2001, Travis Nixon wrote:
> Matt Mihaly wrote:
>> On Wed, 11 Apr 2001, Travis Nixon wrote:

>>> We'll get to a point where players won't mind not getting "stuff"
>>> from everything they do, but to get there, we need a more solid
>>> basis for the game than "kill stuff to get stuff to kill bigger
>>> stuff to get better stuff".

>> Some of us are already there.

> Oh silly Matt, haven't you heard?

> Text games don't count.

> (removing tongue from cheek and foot from mouth)

> :)

> Seriously, though, just about anything will work on a small scale
> with a dedicated playerbase.  But yes, that was a very sweeping
> generalization I made, and for that I apologize wholeheartedly.

Achaea is on a smaller scale than Everquest, but it's how many people
you have on a shard that is the important factor in terms of how the
game itself works within the game. There's very little interaction
between shards, if any, as I understand it. Shards have what, a couple
thousand people on at once at max? That's a magnitude larger than
Achaea. Definitely quite a bit larger, but nothing I'm doing wouldn't
scale to a couple thousand people online at once.

--matt