[MUD-Dev] Re: TECH: Distributed Muds

Derek Snider derek at idirect.com
Thu Apr 19 18:42:53 CEST 2001

According to J C Lawrence...
> Derek Snider <derek at idirect.com> wrote:

>> What would really be useful would be a modular super-computer
>> design where you could easily "plug-in" more CPUs, RAM, hard-drives
>> and network cards.  I know that sounds a little far-fetched, but I
>> seem to recall hearing bits and pieces about such technologies
>> emerging.

> This is moderately standard at the top end.  SGI's brick concept in
> particular is aimed squarely at this need (tho for a much higher $$$
> tag):

>   http://www.sgi.com/origin/3000/

Ah :) Now we're getting somewhere.  I didn't hear about that brick
thing, but it looks pretty good.  (Even though they have limitations
-- max of 512 cpus, 1 TB of ram, etc.  Not that you'd exceed it soon,
but you know that someday you may have to replace the whole system).

True, it would be rather on the expensive side, but I'd think that
games that expect to support 100,000 or more simultaneous paying
customers should design around this sort of hardware, no?