[MUD-Dev] Re: TECH: Distributed Muds

Chris Gray cg at ami-cg.GraySage.COM
Thu Apr 26 19:31:23 CEST 2001

> From: "Derek Snider" <derek at idirect.com>

> A blocking select would make it so your server would only be able to
> do anything when it receives a command... and would not be able to
> do any other tasks -- unless it was multi-threaded.

> You need it to be non-blocking, with a small delay in your main loop.

You don't use select() to delay for a time interval. You can use other
techniques for that (unless you have some specific reason, of
course). You use select to wait for socket activity *or* a specific
time interval. That's what it was designed for, and that works just
fine for a MUD server. I've used it in both of mine with no troubles
at all. In AmigaMUD, I don't have time "ticks", but you can schedule
activity with 1/20 second granularity, and using select() works just
fine. That way, the server is absolutely idle until either the next
scheduled event is ready, or there is some socket activity that needs
attention. Oh yes, I find I need a hundred of my fake "players" before
I notice much load at all on this 300 Mhz PII.

(On releasing the source - I find I need some cleanups, and I'm
awaiting a reply from the author of the Java client about releasing
it.)

--
Don't design inefficiency in - it'll happen in the implementation.

Chris Gray     cg at ami-cg.GraySage.COM
               http://www.GraySage.COM/cg/