[MUD-Dev] Re: TECH: Distributed Muds

J C Lawrence claw at 2wire.com
Fri Apr 27 18:23:18 CEST 2001

On Fri, 27 Apr 2001 08:53:36 -0600
Chris Gray <cg at ami-cg.GraySage.COM> wrote:

>> From: J C Lawrence <claw at 2wire.com>

>> And is only fine so long as you can guarantee that your iteration
>> time will always be reasonably short.  Given a user softcode
>> system this can be a significant problem.

> One word: timeouts.

Bah.

Given a soft code system and other wise single threaded system
timeouts mean that I must either enforce nasty time limits on
softcode execution, or I must build full stack fault support into
the soft language supports such that I can push the soft context, go
do an IO loop, and then return to my soft context.  No thanks.  The
model of decoupling IO, softcode execution, etc is too damn simple
and clean to bother trying to munge them back together.

J C Lawrence                                       claw at kanga.nu