[MUD-Dev] Where are we now?

Matt Mihaly the_logos at achaea.com
Sun Apr 29 18:09:42 CEST 2001

On 29 Apr 2001, Ronan Farrell wrote:

> So maybe it's back to the good old analogy of movies/books.  When
> movies first came out, books took it hard, but now books are being
> read more than ever.  And if you want to think to the future.. the
> art of book writing hasn't changed in hundreds of years, but in
> movies, at first there were silent movies, b/w, colour, what's next?
> I believe text muds will always exist as they provide the core
> essential nature of a mud, a game to play in a community of people,
> and if you keep to that, you don't need to worry about eye-candy
> such as graphics.

I'm curious about stats showing that reading declined with the advent
ot movies. I'm rather doubtful about it frankly. I'd be much more
likely to believe that TV slowed reading.

Also, I hate to be too picky, but the art of writing has _definitely_
changed in the last couple hundred years. Look at Joyce, possibly the
greatest English novelist ever, for instance. His style was completely
new. Poetry has undergone similar drastic changes.

--matt