[MUD-Dev] Community feeling (was: To good to be TRUE, in an M MPORPG?)

Koster Koster
Wed Aug 1 08:16:06 CEST 2001

Even more than distrusting virtual apartments, I distrust arbitrary
technical or marketing targets made without attention to game design
implications. :)

>> Of course, they also recently announced a feature to actually let
>> you toggle off other players on screen.

> It's not a toggle. To reduce graphical lag in cities (some people
> have taken to nickname Omni-1, the main Omnicorp city,
> Omni-one-frame-per-second) they have introduced a slider that
> allows you to reduce the range at which characters begin to be
> drawn. There's a lower bound; you can't hide every character.

In that case, it's eminently reasonable. Well, as long as the
maximum range for combat is the range at which you can no longer
hide people.

>> I don't think it is bad to wish for greater convenience in these
>> games. I think that you have to be careful how far you
>> go. Certainly thousands of people seem to be enjoying AO very
>> much.

> The good question now is: will they form strong ties in it, and
> remain in the game long, or will the churn rate be high.

And for that we'll have to wait a few months.

-Raph