[MUD-Dev] [DGN] RP awards (was: Something in the water)

Matt Mihaly the_logos at achaea.com
Thu Aug 2 00:51:27 CEST 2001

On Wed, 1 Aug 2001, Ananda Dawnsinger wrote:

> Also -- though I still bristle at the idea that "roleplaying is
> its own reward," ideally roleplaying should be met with like
> rewards -- fame, power, influence, prestige, friends in high
> places, etc.  Unfortunately, these tend to be the things that are
> least tangible and least likely to seem like "real" rewards in a
> heavily GoPpy game.

Why do you bristle at that though? I occasionally do some hardcore
roleplaying and for myself at least, the fun is found in just doing
it. It is such a blast to get totally caught up in a
character. Further, the idea of roleplaying giving other rewards
necessitates that being out-of-character. Why would acting
consistent with a character bring rewards when looked at from a
roleplay perspective? Why should a drunken buffoon be rewarded with
power, wealth, friends in high places, etc, for being a drunken
buffoon? Ex-president Clinton's brother-in-law Roger aside, drunken
buffoons don't tend to get a lot of rewards.

Yes, I understand the strictly out-of-character meta arguments for
rewarding roleplay, but the very act of rewarding it damages it in
my opinion.

--matt