TECH: STL / Heaps, etc. (was: [MUD-Dev] TECH DGN: a few mud server design questions (long))

Eli Stevens listsub at wickedgrey.com
Thu Aug 2 10:50:21 CEST 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Caliban Tiresias Darklock" <caliban at darklock.com>

> On Tue, 31 Jul 2001 13:46:09 +0100, "Adam Martin"
> <ya_hoo_com at yahoo.com> wrote:

>> A heap would be faster, but AFAICS they both have the desired (
>> log(n) ) time complexity - a heap just has a lower constant
>> factor (and isn't in the standard libraries. Yet).

> But there are so many easily available implementations...

*cough*STL*cough* Ahem.  Excuse me.

>   http://www.ececs.uc.edu/~franco/C321/html/tree.java.html

> Pardon me, I'm just a heap big fan of interesting data
> structures. ;)

:)

I love the standard template library.  Unabashedly.  ;) Of course,
it helps that it is for my language of choice and that I like
templates just a little too much (when templates are your only tool,
everything looks like a nail :).  I think the STL is a Good Thing,
but my practical/real world experience is limited.  Are there
problems with the STL lurking under the surface?  One aspect that
concerned me was that while it specifies the complexity of a given
operation, you don't have any control over the coefficients
involved.  Would it be a bad idea to rely on it too much?

I guess that would be hard to answer without a specific problem at
hand.  :(

Eli

--
"Ultimately, if it is possible for a consumer to hear or see protected
 content, then it will be technically possible for the consumer to copy