[MUD-Dev] Wilderness

John Buehler johnbue at msn.com
Thu Aug 2 15:57:35 CEST 2001

Ola Fosheim Grostad writes:
> "Nathan F. Yospe" wrote:
>> John Buehler <johnbue at msn.com> said:

>>> The same with the wildlife.  Run a simulator to produce an
>>> expansionist empire that then collapses and leaves ruins here
>>> and there.  Run batch generators to produce individual features
>>> that fit into the world terrain matrix, like caves, ruins and
>>> such.

>> Sorry for the second reply, but this has gotten me started again.
>> There are those on this list who may remember me for exactly this
>> kind of wild design...  and even some who have accused me of
>> blue-sky naivite.

> The problem is more like: why do it?  Designers want control, and
> quite frankly designers are going to produce more interesting
> areas than any general algorithm can produce.

I disagree.  I don't find hand-built content all that intriguing.
It's limited and it tends to be arbitrary.  This works, that
doesn't.  There's a pin in the corner of this room, but that table
won't move.  Hand-built content tends to be interacted with in the
generally-linear structure that the designers have in mind.

I suppose it all depends on your expectations.  I like the idea of
getting into a world and fooling around in it, using my imagination
to come up with entertaining things to do.  As opposed to trying to
figure out what the designers' imaginations came up with as
entertaining things to do.

JB