[MUD-Dev] DNA Game Patent [was Randy's Resume]

Adam Martin ya_hoo_com at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 3 13:31:47 CEST 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "F. Randall Farmer" <randy.farmer at pobox.com>

> I have to disagree that the DNA patent is "bad" in the same
> way. Please read the claims closely. As with most patents, the
> claims build on each other in (roughly) incremental order. What
> you need to watch for is the generality of the first claim. I have
> to say that of all the software patents I have ever had to read,
> this patent has the MOST SPECIFIC Claim 1 I have ever seen. _None_
> of the prior art here even close to applies. It ISN'T a patent on
> shared characters. It isn't a patent on trading cards.

But, certainly in Europe, a patent cannot be an "obvious" extension
from existing work or patents (is this not so also in the US?). The
claim 1 you describe sounds like a trivial extension of various of
the pieces of prior art that people mentioned. No, it isn't exactly
the same as any of them, but it seems to me that it is a very
obvious modification of them...?

Adam M