[MUD-Dev] Wilderness

Matt Mihaly the_logos at achaea.com
Sat Aug 4 18:11:53 CEST 2001

On Thu, 2 Aug 2001, John Buehler wrote:
> Ola Fosheim Grostad writes:

>> The problem is more like: why do it?  Designers want control, and
>> quite frankly designers are going to produce more interesting
>> areas than any general algorithm can produce.

> I disagree.  I don't find hand-built content all that intriguing.
> It's limited and it tends to be arbitrary.  This works, that
> doesn't.  There's a pin in the corner of this room, but that table
> won't move.  Hand-built content tends to be interacted with in the
> generally-linear structure that the designers have in mind.

Personally, I agree with Ola. Computers are horrid at creativity and
are likely to stay that way for the forseeable future. When I see an
area, I want it to have an interesting backstory for instance and
things in the area that tie in with the backstory. I've not seen any
good computer generated areas that do that.

--matt