[MUD-Dev] d20

maddog at best.com maddog at best.com
Mon Aug 6 17:00:27 CEST 2001

Without commenting on the D20 FAQ and not commenting on WotC,
but only commenting on license agreements...

Travis Casey wrote:

> Well, I've already noted (as has someone else) that the
> restriction is not on the system itself, but on using WotC's "d20
> System" trademarks.  However, even that only applies to doing the
> "automatic licensing" of the "d20 System Trademark License".
> There's nothing that prevents anyone from approaching WotC and
> asking permission -- it's just that the automatic license they've
> set up doesn't allow you to do it.

There is nothing that prevent someone to from getting a license
agreement, but they really need to get the agreement in writing. And
also it would be better to do it as a consortium because it does
require some effort and a consortium can act as the license
clearinghouse and keep the overhead low for the license-granting
company.  Companies like low, low overhead.  They hate details and
complexity.

I am still not convinced that D20 is the ultimate game mechanics for
computer-based (or should i say "mediated"?) fantasy role-playing.
Do you guys think so? I did spend 4 nanoseconds on a translator for
D20 to D200.

frank
[4 nanoseconds is my average attention span now]