[MUD-Dev] Death among Friends

shren shren at io.com
Thu Aug 9 04:28:55 CEST 2001

On Fri, 3 Aug 2001, Matt Mihaly wrote:

> Yep, I agree. The stakes are far higher in PvP once you're
> emotionally involved in the world. That's why I, personally, like
> it. Hardcore PvP does not make for the basis of a game with wide
> appeal though, as you point out. Myself, I'd be into a game where
> each participant was hooked up to an irremoveable device that
> induced varying degrees of pain depending on how badly your
> opponent is beating you. Not crippling pain, but enough so that
> you would be _very_ motivated to concentrate and there would be a
> very undesirable cost of loss. I do realize most people wouldn't
> be into that.

You should just set up the mud so that the more you get beaten, the
more letters are replaced with underscores or dashes.  Each
underscore should have a 25% chance of being two underscores instead
of one.

  > look room
  You see a large room with a table and 5 chairs.
  Bob hits you in the head.
  > look room
  Yo_ see __ __rge room wit_ a t__le an__ 5 chai_s.

--
  You can't be afraid of words that speak the truth!   - George Carlin