[MUD-Dev] d20

Michael Tresca talien at toast.net
Sat Aug 11 10:13:36 CEST 2001

On Monday, August 06, 2001 8:00 PM maddog at best.com posted:

> I am still not convinced that D20 is the ultimate game mechanics
> for computer-based (or should i say "mediated"?) fantasy
> role-playing.  Do you guys think so? I did spend 4 nanoseconds on
> a translator for D20 to D200.

Rather moot, really.  That's like saying, "I get bored with the
Windows environment so I will not develop my game for it."

Why, yes you will develop your game for it.  Because if there's lots
of people using it, you'll make lots of money.  Unless of course
you're not in the business of making money.

It's easy to put down a game system.  They all have flaws.  But the
assumption that you should develop for only the QUALITY (game
system, platform, etc.) is to assume that the general populace has
enough knowledge to know what's good and bad.  This is simply not
true in the majority of cases.  The market ends up being flooded by
folks with more advertising money than the folks who make a rival
quality product.

One of the Gen Con seminars about starting your own game company was
very insightful.  As the panel put it, "if I slap the D20 logo on my
RPG and I see sales double, what do you think I'm going to do?  Want
to be different and poor?  Be my guest."

D20 may not be the ultimate game mechanics system for computer-based
FRPG.  It does, however, have a recognized presence in the
pen-and-paper RPG world.  If you want those customers to play your
CRPG, it may be worth exploring.

Mike "Talien" Tresca
RetroMUD Administrator
<http://www.retromud.org/talien>