[MUD-Dev] TECH: programming languages (was: Re: TECH: STL / Heaps, etc.)

Justin Rogers justin at mlstoday.com
Wed Aug 15 23:30:32 CEST 2001

[Daniel Harman]

> Have you looked at the .NET beta 2 stuff? I've not looked at the
> WinForms/GUI bits but the rest of it strikes me as nice for tool
> development. The only thing that puzzles me using two different
> techs for the game and the tools is if you want to share your
> rendering engine between the two.

You can easily promote that the rendering engine also be programmed
in .NET so that both the tools, the client, and the server are all
programmed using the same tech.  .NET now has built in scripting via
the VSA object model, C# has an in memory compiler which can be used
to dynamically compile C# on the fly (it isn't scripted yet though),
our security model allows you to place relaxed or extremely secure
permissions on various pieces of code by applying security policies
(scripted code can be run with 0 access to anything).

I will admit that it currently works best for tools, but having
worked on several game projects using .NET I can also say it
integrates well with DirectX and OpenGL for client graphics.  Its
extremely scalable on the server offering depending on the models
you use.  Great DB connectivity interfaces, awesome XML support
built in, ability to do on the fly modifications to classes is built
into the CLR (see Reflection and AppDomain stuff in the docs).

I'm just wondering why someone (other than me) hasn't started
working with .NET to produce some sort of code-base.  I realize the
Beta idea is holding some people back, but I haven't had many issues
moving my code base from Beta 1 to Beta 2.  So I don't foresee any
major changes between now and final release.

Justin Rogers
justin at mlstoday.com
a-justr at microsoft.com