[MUD-Dev] Personality Types (was Anarchy Online (was Community Feeling))

Richard A. Bartle richard at mud.co.uk
Thu Aug 16 07:58:33 CEST 2001

On 15th August 2001, Hans-Henrik Staerfeldt wrote:

> What would be neat would be to have a survey with a thousand
> questions, and do a components analysis to see which questions
> were answered similarly.

I really do not like questionnaires that do that, they mean you have
to remember what you answered the first time. I once did a test at
school with, ooh, it must have been well over 500 questions. On page
30 there was some question that was the same as one on page 18 but
with the sense reversed - instead of "put these vegetables in the
order you most like them" it was "put these vegetables in the order
you least like them". It took me a good 10 minutes to find what I'd
put the first time so I could make their software think I was more
consistent than I was...

As to the "Bartle Test", well obviously it's not meant to be
anything more than a bit of fun. A serious version of it might try
asking questions that differentiated along the axes, along "aha,
they prefer the game over people and acting over interacting, that
makes them an achiever" lines.

		Richard