[MUD-Dev] Pocket PC Development

Peter Tyson ptyson at datamonitor.com
Sat Aug 18 13:22:53 CEST 2001

> From: Frank Crowell [mailto:maddog at shell9.ba.best.com]
>> Peter Tyson wrote:

> Good grief, I am going to get suckered into this project yet.

Good! :)

>> Joe Gamer plays Shadowbane, etc

> Yes, has some things that I really like. I don't know about the
> commerical prospects, but it has a lot of sizzle.

Yeah, the Syncing way of doing it is the easiest right now. It
doesn't really get you any kind of 'in' with mobile operators. But
that's fine. You use it as a direct route to the customer and bill
'em a little extra for it.

> I guess if I give up the 24/7 model for the client and think of it
> more as on-demand, then maybe this is workable.  I am sure the the
> wireless phone makers are hot for anything that burns up
> connection minutes.

You would be VERY suprised at how UNintersted they are. It's quite a
complex market due to various factors including mobile operators not
really wanting to pay for a lot of stuff, the need to work through a
publisher (like Wirelessgames.com) due to operator's not liking
managing hundreds of small devs and the fact that they want VOLUME
not quality in their usage (ie. They want millions of people playing
not a few people playing millions of minutes. Mostly because they
don't belive the later will happen). End result is you need big
brands, a big partner and some luck. And if you're really lucky,
you'll get paid.

I can talk more about this with anyone who is interested. So email
me if that's the case (since it gets a bit Off Topic).

> I am willing to have more conversations about this...

Feel free to mail me Frank if you have any sort of questions
unrelated to Mud stuff.

I think some kind of PocketPC or mobile phone interface would be
great for a Mud. Getting over the business issues would be the
challenge. They're much much harder than the technical ones ;)

Peter