[MUD-Dev] TECH: programming languages (was: Re: TECH: STL / Heaps, etc.)

Robin Lee Powell rlpowell at digitalkingdom.org
Sun Aug 19 11:34:10 CEST 2001

On Sat, Aug 18, 2001 at 03:45:38PM +0200, Ola Fosheim Gr?stad wrote:
> Bruce Mitchener wrote:
>> Ola Fosheim Gr?stad wrote:

Depends on how broad you want to use those terms.  Oz, the language
I'm using for my mud, is enough of a logic language that there is a
trivial translation of any Prolog program into it.  Or so I've been
told.

>>> Not really sure how a different imperative implementation
>>> language is going to get you to a new type of server?

>> Languages impose constraints upon the space of what is easily
>> achievable and their assumptions shape the design of a system.
>> While many of the differences will be within the implementation,
>> that doesn't render them irrelevant.

> Hmm... I think most imperative languages are rather Algol like,
> but I guess you are right in the sense that a lot of languages
> produce a lot of disturbing source-code bloat when you try to use
> certain approaches.  Efficiency considerations and the lack of
> design in C++ which leads to horrible function objects is one
> example... (For some reason it seems to be modern to promote
> verbosity as if that improved legibility; STL, Java.)

> If set-oriented languages had been efficient... :-) Dream on.

SQL?

-Robin

--
http://www.digitalkingdom.org/~rlpowell/ 	BTW, I'm male, honest.
le datni cu djica le nu zifre .iku'i .oi le so'e datni cu to'e te pilno