[MUD-Dev] TECH: programming languages (was: Re: TECH: STL / Heaps, etc.)

Robin Lee Powell rlpowell at digitalkingdom.org
Tue Aug 21 00:46:13 CEST 2001

On Mon, Aug 20, 2001 at 09:27:45PM -0600, Bruce Mitchener wrote:
> Robin Lee Powell wrote:

>> Depends on how broad you want to use those terms.  Oz, the
>> language I'm using for my mud, is enough of a logic language that
>> there is a trivial translation of any Prolog program into it.  Or
>> so I've been told.

> Have you worked out your server design yet to the point where you
> have an idea of how the logic programming facets of Oz will change
> things?

http://www.digitalkingdom.org/~rlpowell/design.html is what I have
so far, although that doesn't get into the low level stuff.  But
yes, at a low level, the dataflow aspects at least have been
immensely helpful.

> Are you planning on trying to take advantage of it or make it a
> core part of some of your initial systems designs?  Or maybe just
> something to use later as you learn more/do more?

Well, it's impossible to really escape it completely, but the stuff
that you're probably thinking of as real logic programming (search
trees and such) will not likely be a part of the core server,
although it will likely come in very handy for puppet AI and such.

-Robin

--
http://www.digitalkingdom.org/~rlpowell/ 	BTW, I'm male, honest.
le datni cu djica le nu zifre .iku'i .oi le so'e datni cu to'e te pilno