[MUD-Dev] Writing a MUD Server in Visual Basic?

Matt Owen MOwen at Channel4.co.uk
Thu Aug 23 10:21:06 CEST 2001

Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com
<Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com> wrote:
>> From: Matt Owen [mailto:MOwen at Channel4.co.uk]

>> A colleague of mine has recently been talking about writing a MUD
>> server in visual basic, as he believes that the speed of current
>> machines more than outweighs VBs sluggishness.

>> I'm not so sure it's possible to write a server in VB, even for a
>> small scale world (~64 players), aren't there threading and load
>> balancing issues ?

> Hmm had another thought on this which didn't make it into my first
> reply - I was just going to point out that the last time I checked
> out VBs socket support, it was lamentably bad. The only project I
> know using VB sockets here had to buy a 3rd party toolkit if I
> recall correctly.

Agreed, trying to use the inbuilt MS socket controls is a complete
waste of time. However there is a set of freeware socket controls
that although dated and slightly buggy, work quite well, and are
able to handle several hundred connections at a time. I use these
from time to time without issue for both TCP and UDP.

The best solution I suppose is to do the hard work and knock up some
VB functions that wrap the proper API socket calls, something I've
been meaning to do for some time, but as you say in your other post,
that's really treading in C++ country.

- Jaruzel.