[MUD-Dev] MMORPGs & MUDs

Matt Mihaly the_logos at achaea.com
Thu Dec 13 19:47:50 CET 2001

On Wed, 12 Dec 2001, Derek Licciardi wrote:

> This is hard to stomach.  I am not saying that someone with money
> to burn and a passion in his/her heart won't do this but the
> current economic model surrounding game development won't let this
> happen.(forget that we are in a recession) MMORPGs take between 5
> and 10 million dollars to produce.  I know because I just finished
> our financials for our next project.

The fact that current graphical MUDs cost between 5 and 10 million
to produce is not a comment on the inherent cost of producing an
graphical MUD. It is a comment on the cost of producing one of the
graphical MUDs that exist today, or, in your case, is a comment on
your particular project.

What you're saying is like saying "All movies cost 50-100 million to
make."

> ps Perhaps the market will grow large enough such that niche
> MMORPGs are possible, then again this would just be a more
> populated mass market.  Fact is you still need nearly
> 100,000 at 10/month subscribers to be successful in the MMORPG space
> given the costs to build them.

Well, if you define massively multiplayer as over 100,000 then of
course, you're right by definition. Otherwise though, you're
not. And I'll tell you I know that because I've done the financials
for one that needs considerably less.

--matt