[MUD-Dev] Interesting DAoC Poll

Matt Mihaly the_logos at achaea.com
Thu Dec 13 19:54:17 CET 2001

On Thu, 13 Dec 2001, Dave Shepherd wrote:

> Personally I would love to see more counters and more options
> during combat, but as it is usually over in a few seconds there is
> not much point until you slow combat down.  It would be good to
> see healers heal during combat.  But I don't think that DAoC
> should be too much like say, Achaea, where levels/equipment mean
> very little and proper use of character skills (bought with hard
> cash) means everything in PvP.  It is too much of a twitch based
> system (slow twitch but still twitchy), and certainly does have 1
> shot kills (if the target doesn't know to use or have a certain
> herb).

Achaea definitely has a lot of twitchiness involved. Our combat
system is based on allowing the good -players- to shine through, and
it works very well. Put the same two players with the same skills
and equipment in a fight, and the better one will slaughter the bad
fighter every single time without breaking a sweat. If you don't
know enough about combat, you are, indeed, a dead man. This is a
good thing in my opinion. It allows for knowledge and skill to be
major factors in combat.

--matt