[MUD-Dev] First use of "avatar"?

Nathan F. Yospe yospe at kanga.nu
Thu Dec 13 21:04:13 CET 2001

"Koster, Raph" <rkoster at soe.sony.com> said:

> I think The Realm and ToonChat were right around the same time. I
> know that they called them "toons" in The Realm, which given its
> graphics was inevitable.

> Of course, now I am remembering that there was of course the game
> AVATAR on PLATO in the 70s.

And of course, with the Meta thread now running around, everyone has
the clue about google groups.  I started combing yesterday.  Guess
what that effort turned up?

There's more than what I'm posting.  net.games.frp had common use of
the term Avatar for god-inhabited, which suggests that the use in
MMOGs does derive from the hindu word, but through drifting
references in small and marginally related subcultures.  No doubt
both Farmer and Stephenson had heard it in some context related to
RPGs and subconciously locked in the new meaning, perhaps not quite
what the person saying it had intended.

Then again, Stephenson is a historian, at least in mind, so may have
not heard it in any context but Hinduism.

I'm also very disturbed to see a guy that, aside from his name,
would've had to have been me, posting at a date when I was in the
third grade and figuring out how to hack Apple][ video in BASIC.

I'm certain I hadn't heard of usenet until the 90s.

But there he is, Fermi resident, frp poster, all text justified
exactly, though his is 65 and I think most of mine have been either
72 or 75, and he writes... well, I swear it reads like I wrote it,
down to the type of grammatical structure and choices of words.

I wonder what this guy's like today, and will I become him in ten
years?

But back to the topic...

First possible use of Avatar for character in an RPG:

  <http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&selm=2400063%40uokvax.UUCP>

First mention of AVATAR:

  <http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&selm=17100001%40uicsg.UUCP>

First definition of Avatar (hindu):

  <http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&selm=bnews.unc.4996>

--- Quoting Each, as old listings seem unstable still ---

--- Minor Formatting to fit 72 character comfort zone ---

--- Avatar, possibly, as word for D&D character: