[MUD-Dev] First use of "avatar"?

Madman Across the Water burra at alum.rpi.edu
Sun Dec 16 13:22:07 CET 2001

Travis Nixon wrote:
> From: "Koster, Raph" <rkoster at soe.sony.com>

> Why is the hindu meaning out of bounds?  Seems a rather silly
> requirement, given that the term has its roots in the Hindu
> meaning.

I think because the Hindu meaning is already in their dictionary,
and they want to come up with an etymology that just covers the SF
meaning.

> I guess I just don't understand why you would try to trace the
> history of something and then say "the history ends here" when it
> obviously doesn't.

Well, no, but you can try to find the first person to take the Hindu
concept of "Avatar" and apply it to this new area. :>

Adam Burr
Madman Across the Water  - POL dev