[MUD-Dev] Continuous versus Discrete Functions

John Buehler johnbue at email.msn.com
Fri Dec 21 22:45:31 CET 2001

Raph Koster writes:
> [...]

I don't doubt that this phenomenon will remain intact to some
degree, and we can argue the degree forever I'm sure.  Can it be
reduced in the near future to the point of being a sidelight - such
that min/max fears and 'balance' are no longer a significant concern
of system designers?  Can designers cease fearing the use of
continuous functions, and to cease fearing the use of other
mechanics/mechanisms that 'give up control' to the players?  I ask
that completely independent of considering the issue of what players
can be or should be permitted to do with that control.  That was
recently tossed around on this list as I recall.

JB